Awesome 1:100 Bismarck & Von der Tan model

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
RF

Re: Awesome 1:100 Bismarck & Von der Tan model

Post by RF »

Kal and lwd:

The Germans did have a secret supply organisation to keep warships and raiders supplied in the event of war. Von Spee had a substantial force of colliers and supply ships in the Pacific which were not affected by British blockade.

The point that I was alluding at was that the Germans never properly planned or prepared for a long sea war with Britain. This I find very odd considering that the HSF was built up specifically to rival the RN; the Germans also failed to consider that their fleet might be blockaded and bottled up in the North Sea, so it would make sense to keep part of that fleet outside Europe to avoid such entrapment, ie. in German colonies. Such dispersion would force the British to follow suit.

My point about Von der Tann is over why her designers did not adopt centre line for all four turrets rather than two - the length of the stem would have accomodated this, as the pictures show.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Re: Awesome 1:100 Bismarck & Von der Tan model

Post by RF »

Regarding stationing in the Pacific as opposed to North Sea deployment it would appear from the long term deployment of Scharnhorst and Gneisenau that they were not adversely affected, neither it would appear were British warships on their worldwide operations.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.