Convoy HN 25 and the Bergen Invasion Force

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
gflotron

Convoy HN 25 and the Bergen Invasion Force

Post by gflotron »

This pretty damn particular but I thought I would take a shot.
I've read in Geirr Haar's seminal works on the Norwegian Campaign that Convoy HN 25 of some 39 merchant ships left Bergen early on April 9th, and while I understand weather was atrocious, dark, no radar, etc, I wonder how the approaching German invasion fleet missed them.
Seems that one of the BR Captains had the foresight to get the ships moving towards England, but I'm surprised they would leave in what I believe was the very early hours of the 9th.
Just curious as hell how close the two groups may have come to running into each other.
Thanks!
Greg
dunmunro

Re: Convoy HN 25 and the Bergen Invasion Force

Post by dunmunro »

gflotron wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:55 pm This pretty damn particular but I thought I would take a shot.
I've read in Geirr Haar's seminal works on the Norwegian Campaign that Convoy HN 25 of some 39 merchant ships left Bergen early on April 9th, and while I understand weather was atrocious, dark, no radar, etc, I wonder how the approaching German invasion fleet missed them.
Seems that one of the BR Captains had the foresight to get the ships moving towards England, but I'm surprised they would leave in what I believe was the very early hours of the 9th.
Just curious as hell how close the two groups may have come to running into each other.
Thanks!
Greg
This website:

http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/on25norw.html

states that most of the convoy returned to the UK on 8 April and that the convoy was UK->Norway.