Results of Cru Div 5, Main Force & attendants handiwork, 1 March 1942

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Kev D

Results of Cru Div 5, Main Force & attendants handiwork, 1 March 1942

Post by Kev D »

Gents,

A memorial web page to HMS Exeter is now up, thanks to Pierre Kosmidis of WW2wrecks.com.

It contains historical photos, 3D wreck images and a survey description of the of the wreck itself.

Enjoy!

https://www.ww2wrecks.com/portfolio/a-d ... in-denlay/
Attachments
HMS-Exeter-wreck-2007-- 1500.jpg
(237.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
HMSVF

Re: Results of Cru Div 5, Main Force & attendants handiwork, 1 March 1942

Post by HMSVF »

Thank you Mr Denlay for this,I found it fascinating. Thank the lord you recorded all this information before the site was trashed and desecrated.

BW

HMSVF
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

HMSVF wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:31 am Thank you Mr Denlay for this,I found it fascinating. Thank the lord you recorded all this information before the site was trashed and desecrated.
BW
HMSVF
Thank you for the kind words sir. :clap:

I am only glad we took the time to survey them when we did, as who would have thought that most would be completely disappeared by illegal salvage. Certainly not me!
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
HMSVF

Post by HMSVF »

Mr Denlay,

Are you likely to do the same for the other wrecks (not being greedy!)?

BW HMSVF
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

HMSVF wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:17 pm Mr Denlay,
Are you likely to do the same for the other wrecks (not being greedy!)?
BW HMSVF
Good question. I would certainly like to, or at least for Hr. Ms.'s, Dr Ruyter and Java, as I have the most survey data and photos of those two. However, it is somewhat of a lengthy time consuming process to fine tune the construction on up to the finished product, and while not super expensive per se, the 3D renditions cost money, which for Exeter I paid for. Now, I have approached a third party to see if they would contribute to the cost of rendering the above two, so let's see. (They 'should' be somewhat easier to do as, except for Java'a missing stern, were in better, less 'beat-up' condition than Exeter.) Of course, if somone with deeper pockets would care to intervene we could render as many of the wrecks we discovered as funds allowed. :D

I assume you have seen the 3D ones we did years ago for Prince of Wales? If not you will find them in the PDF at bottom of right column this page; https://pacificwrecks.com/ships/hms/pri ... wales.html

And, just as an aside, you can dispense with the Mr formality, Kevin will do just fine. :wink:

marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Congratulations Kevin! I am curious about the Exeter´s plan, do you have it?
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

marcelo_malara wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:26 pmCongratulations Kevin! I am curious about the Exeter´s plan, do you have it?
Thanks Marcelo! :ok: As for Exeter's 'plan', which one? :D

There are several, by different folks at different times. The only 'official set' I have is 'as built'. But I have others post refit, or 3D renditions of her (from side-on profile and from above) post refit, but there are differences and / or 'mistakes' in almsot all of them. :stubborn:
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

I mean the one that was used in this image.

https://www.ww2wrecks.com/wp-content/up ... ations.jpg
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

marcelo_malara wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:50 pm I mean the one that was used in this image.
https://www.ww2wrecks.com/wp-content/up ... ations.jpg
I made that up as a composite. That is, the lower half comes from the set of the 'as built' official plans, the top half outline I found somewhere back 'in the day' (as been collecting Exeter related stuff since 2001), 'corrected' it (it had a 20mm gun in the turret tubs) and then resized / matched both and Photoshoped them together (and added the 'hits'). :wink:
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

"the lower half comes from the set of the 'as built' official plans"

This one, would you share it?

Thanks in advance
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

marcelo_malara wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:24 pm "the lower half comes from the set of the 'as built' official plans"
This one, would you share it?
Thanks in advance
Of course. The originals are big files so would be best to email it to you. Or maybe I can post here; what or is there a file size limit to post this forum?

EDIT. I see the biggest size I can post here is 256kb, the smallest (high res) jpg of that page of the plans set is 1.78mb.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Please send them to marcel_malara@yahoo.com.ar. Thanks!
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

marcelo_malara wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:16 pmPlease send them to marcel_malara@yahoo.com.ar. Thanks!
Done.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks and congrats to you and your partners in bringing this to us all. A really moving tribute indeed and for me, I really appreciate being able to see how the wreck appeared as a whole. Absolutely amazing work.

Of course, a great job begets expectations for more, but we can understand the constraints. Everything in its time.

With best regards and more thanks,

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Thanks for the kinds words Paul. :ok: I have also passed on everyone's compliments to both the webmaster at WW2wrecks.com and Stefan D, the 3D man. Without Pierre's hosting and Stefan 3D expertise I couldn't have done it. :clap: