Malvinas/Falklands war - Alleged attack on HMS Invincible

Naval discussions covering the latter half of the 20th Century.
RF

Re: Malvinas/Falklands war - Alleged attack on HMS Invincible

Post by RF »

I would think that if this incident was caused by a real threat - submarine torpedo or exocet missile - the aircraft, ship or submarine that launched the weapon would have been exposed to the world by now as the people who fired the weapon presumably would not maintain absolute silence on the matter for all this time.....

As with the Dorsetshire and Maori in the act of picking up Bismarck survivors, I think this was a false alarm - something was picked up by the carriers electronics and evasive action would be the automatic and expected response.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

RF wrote:I would think that if this incident was caused by a real threat - submarine torpedo or exocet missile - the aircraft, ship or submarine that launched the weapon would have been exposed to the world by now as the people who fired the weapon presumably would not maintain absolute silence on the matter for all this time.....
The exception might be if it was an accidental release by a friendly.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Nice to meet you Groovething. There is a claim of one of the submarines deployed in the area (I think it was the ARA Salta) that says that she managed to get within torpedo distance of the Invincible and actually fired at her. As with the claimed bomb and Exocet attack, I hadn´t given it credibility...but now that you tell that story, may be there is something true in it. It would help knowing the exact date. Another question, did you remember the carrier being painted during the cruise?

Kind regards
RF

Post by RF »

lwd wrote: The exception might be if it was an accidental release by a friendly.
Such an occurence would surely be investigated, and over the last quarter century the content of any enquiry on this would surely come to light.
Groovething

Post by Groovething »

I too am of the opinion that had the attack been real then the attacking sub would have made a lot more of the event after the conflict was over, I'm tempted to believe it was a whale which was one of the theories put around afterwards. The only thing that struck me as odd was the skipper's determined appeal for silence on the matter.

As for painting the ship, all the way home! JJ was determined that we would not enter harbour looking like some tramp streamer, we would be smart and shiney, as we were. You also have to remember that the Hermes was a lot older and left alone would resemble a hulk within a few weeks alongside, The Invincible was a relatively new ship then, it was a lot easier to clean us up.
RF

Post by RF »

Groovething wrote: The only thing that struck me as odd was the skipper's determined appeal for silence on the matter.
That may be because the incident might make him look pretty stupid in the coverage of the popular press if it came out, and embarrass his superiors.....
Lost In Normandy

Post by Lost In Normandy »

I can confirm that as a crew member of HMS Invincible she was attacked by two torpedos probably from the type 209 submarine San Luis. Both torpedoes past within 50 yards of her stern and where wittnessed by many of the deck crew at the time, including myself. This has been further confirmed by the Captain of the submarine as well as Jeremy Black (Capt HMS Invincible). The San Luis had previously attempted attacks on HMS Arrow coming away from the gun line, but it is reported she had fire control issues.
On the home journey we were informed that it was not for public knowledge and will be subject to the official secrets act.
The embaressment for the Navy would be heavy. Although the South Atlantic around the Falklands proved to be difficult sonar conditions, a modern navy still should of seen a approaching attack. The direct intervention of Capt Black did save the HMS Invincible from serious damage or worse.

The attack on the 30th May did happen and one Sky Hawk got through the defenses and past way to close to us for comfort, but for reasons I cannot give a explaination too, did not attack us. I personnaly believe that at least one exocet was brought down by a Sea Dart missile, either ours or HMS Exeter's, I saw the trails meet and then a explosion. I know we fired at least 2, possibly 3 Sea Darts missiles during the attack.
I do not subscribe to the official verdict that HMS Arrow's Mk8 took out a Exocet due to what I wittnessed from my action station, however, this is only my version of events.

After the surrender, we did sail North for some maintaince work, The south Atlantic pushed the ship very hard and much work had to be done to give us a further readiness while we waited for HMS Illustrious to come south. The reports of damage etc are completely false, I think I would of noticed since my work was mostly done on deck.
I hope as time progresses further truths can become public, there is much still to be told.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Thanks for the info sir. There was only one Exocet launched in that attack, which was the only one left to the Navy, so this must be the one you saw intercepted. About the Sky Hawk, in passed nearby, and then..where did it go? Did it release bombs against any other ship in company?

Kind regards
RF

Post by RF »

More interesting is where the Sky Hawk came from, as HMS Invincinble was supposed (we are told in Britain) to be beyond the range of Argentine land based aircraft.....
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Obviously from land. The attack was done with air refuelling.
RF

Post by RF »

I would have expected such an operation to have been picked up by radar and GCHQ, but there is no information on this in the UK, no doubt due to the Official Secrets Act. We might know in another fifty years!!!
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

The flights to the targets and the air refuelling were performed at very low altitudes. The airplanes had to be washed with fresh water back in base to remove the salt from the spray of the seas
RF

Post by RF »

Presumably this puts them under the radar umbrella, and flying at zero feet - as implied by the impregnation of salt water - would be some feat.

Still I would have expected GCHQ to pick up some of the communications involved in the operation - possibly they were too remote from the scene in the South Atlantic to warn in time.
reydelcastillo

Post by reydelcastillo »

Good Morning Gentelman , Let me introduce myself .- I was the Officer in charge of the Army Long range radar in the Islands during the Conflict .- We had been trying to track HMS Invincible by following the Sea Harriers until we lost them , then I found out that when Airplanes took off the Carrier they kept a low fly out of radar reach no to show us the Carriers position .- Same when heading back to the Carrier , they went on a low fly about 20 miles away from the Carrier Group , and out of sight from the radar .- I would like yo know if this that was told to me is accurate .-
Thank you very much .-
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

There is some very interesting information showing up in this thread. What do you think about the veracity of the attack Enrique?